Monday 30 December 2013

Nostalgia

 
 I've been feeling rather nostalgic lately. A few days ago marked the fifth anniversary of my move to Montréal, and I've consequently been in a pretty introspective (and retrospective) mood. I've been thinking a whole lot about the past few years, especially the 'honeymoon' period of my adult life so far. Of course, nostalgia and romanticism being what they are, I try to reason with myself thinking of the truly terrible moments of my first few years living on my own, such as the deaths of friends and family members, my horrible roommate's friends taking over our apartment to the point of our having to change the locks, a mold infestation I'm still paying for with my health, or dealing with two horrible break-ups in my first few months in town. I'm not truly yearning for times past, it's more that I which some elements of the past pervaded more my present life. I loved going to shows on an almost weekly basis, spending more time away from the computer (ahem), and well, almost the opposite, I do miss the blogs of yore which have, for the most, been abandoned one after the other.
I don't have any conclusions to draw from this above rambling, other than, well, here's an ode to my blogging of yore (???). I'm reopening the 'Parentheses Archives,' (remember?) i.e., a bunch of folders on my computer where I save random images. If the source of inspiration I draw from blogs has nearly dried up (O, fantastic metaphors!), perhaps I myself should try to kick things back into place when it comes to my blog anyway. Or perhaps I should find new blogs to read... Any suggestions?
(Credits: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)

(I updated the previous post with the song I was mentioning, and I'm about to answer all unanswered comments.)

2 comments:

  1. have you read one of the latest posts on empty emptor? i think a lot do think that fashion blogging is, for the most part, quite dead. it's sad. sorry to hear about your crazy housing situation—that's not cool! i miss reading my old favourites too. i think i am a bit guilty myself since i stopped about fashion per se :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have! It actually came out while I was writing this post, and well, captured what I meant much more eloquently, haha. I should have linked to it, as it most likely influenced me more than I thought when I first put this post together. I think that even though you don't exclusively blog about fashion anymore, there's still a sense of continuity with what you do in the way your personal voice is still very present in the blogosphere, which I think is great. I don't miss fashion blogging in general per se as much as the voice of my favourite bloggers who wrote about other things as well. This is probably going to sound corny, but, erm, it's like losing a friend in a way, you know?

      Delete

Dear reader, thank you for sharing your thoughts. I do my best to respond to all comments in a timely manner, and although I sometimes may be slow, you can be sure they will all be answered by the time a new post has been published.